The First Business Economic Survey Project
Each Fall, First Business takes the pulse of local businesses through an annual economic survey. The survey focuses on the current year's actual and next year's predicted: sales revenue, total operating costs, capital expenditures, profitability, number of employee, changes in wages, and changes in pricing. Results are broken down by geography, and reported to the public in three local forums.
2013 Northeast Wisconsin Results
Presented December 6 at the New North Summit
The results of the 2013 First Business Economic Survey are in. Find out what Northeast business leaders are saying about 2013 and forecasting for 2014.
- Speaker: Dennis Winters, Chief of the Office of Economic Advisors at the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development
- Panelist: Darwin Copeman, CEO of Jewelers Mutual Insurance
- Panelist: Ben Grigg, CEO of Aarrowcast, Inc.
- Panelist: Craig Dickman, CEO of Breakthrough Fuel
- Moderator: Margaret LeBrun, Co-publisher and Editor for Insight Publications
2013 Milwaukee & Waukesha County Results
Presented December 13 at the Key Industries for Job Growth Event
The results of the 2013 First Business Economic Survey are in. Find out what Milwaukee and Waukesha County business leaders said about 2013 and forecasting for 2014.
- Governor Scott Walker, Governor
- Panelist: Kent Lorenz, Ellison Technologies
- Panelist: Richard Leinenkugel, Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
- Panelist: Tina Chang , SysLogic
- Panelist: Paul Jones, A.O. Smith
- Moderated by Dave Vetta, First Business Bank-Milwaukee
2013 Dane County Results
Presented December 17 at the Monona Terrace
The results of the 2013 First Business Economic Survey are in. Find out what Dane County business leaders said about 2013 and forecasting for 2014, at our December seminar.
- Speaker: Scott Converse, of The University of Wisconsin, Executive Education (Speaker)
- Moderator: Wendy Warren, Grapentine of Straight to the Point Communications (Moderator)
- Panelist: Jay Loewi, of QTI
- Panelist: Mike Victorson, of M3 Insurance Solutions for Business
- Panelist: Jim Garner, CEO, Sergenian’s Floor Coverings
- Panelist: Angie Rieger, Senior VP Planning & Inventory at Lands’ End
- Panelist: Corey Chambas of First Business Financial Services
Cross-Regional Survey Results
The annual First Business Economic Survey covers Dane County, Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties, and Northeast Wisconsin. Get a copy of our cross regional report, which compares and contrasts the results in each of these markets.
Past Survey Results
The First Business Economic Survey project started in 2003. Historical results are archived and readily available.
The survey is administered by the A.C. Nielsen Center for Marketing Research at the University of Wisconsin, and mailed to business owners, CEOs, and CFOs at companies with five or more employees in Dane County, Milwaukee County, Waukesha County, and the 18 counties that make up Northeast Wisconsin.